Monday, April 23, 2012

Don't cry over spilled cashews :)

Some of you may know that we never tell M to say "Please, Thank You or Sorry!" 
Manners in my opinion are learned through modeling the behavior, 
not being told to say it when you might not even mean it. 

So, on with my story...Today, M and I are in the kitchen cleaning up our water colors and brushes. She picks up my mason jar of cashews (kinda heavy) and knocks them over. 
Here is our conversation...

Me: Ohhh Madilynn! My cashews can stay there, I'm not done.
Madilynn: Oopppps! (with worry on her face)
Me: It's ok, sweetheart. While I pick up all the cashews, can you pick up the markers and glitter glue from the play area?

Madilynn walks out and hurries back with ALL her craft supplies at once. Which is way more than an armful and I thought she was going to drop that too!

Me: My goodness you brought them all!!
Madilynn: Mommy I spilled your cashews. I am sorry!
Me: It's ok. Madilynn, you were being so helpful and it was heavy. It can happen to anyone. Remember if something is heavy, you can ask for help.
Madilynn: Mommy, I'm sorry about that. *pause* I will try that next time. (and she gave me a hug!)

She really did feel bad, but it was so cute of her to work through her problem and to express her feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment